The Shop Tart is sure you’ve heard about the wonders of coconut oil. It’s, like, totally on trend right now. Some trends are lame. This one? Is awesome. There are a lot of brands out there and, at the moment, Dr. Bronner’s from Rosewood Market is the Shop Tart’s favorite. This magical elixir is fair trade, organic, unrefined, fresh pressed virgin, and all sorts of lovely things like that.
Some coconut oils turn to liquid at room temperature — though they all seem to solidify in the fridge — but this one has the consistency of a cream, even left on the counter.
How do you use your coconut oil? The Shop Tart has some suggestions.
- Use it in baking as a substitute for butter (if you want to make something vegan) or any other oil. Depending on how much you use, it can give the dish a slight coconut flavor.
- USE IT TO MAKE POPCORN ON THE STOVE. That is in all caps, BECAUSE IT IS SO GOOD. It smells like movie popcorn and ends up tasting a little sweet, like kettle corn.
- Rub it on hands, legs, body, cuticles, elbows, knees, wherever. Coconut oil makes a great moisturizer. But beware: If your dog sleeps in the bed with you, he will think you are a snack.
- Speaking of dogs, you can let them eat coconut oil or you can use it on them topically. Orally, it supports healthy skin and fur, helps prevent cancer, prevents all sorts of infections, promotes healthy metabolism, helps with digestion, may relieve arthritis — you get the picture. Used on the skin, it can help heal woulds and rashes and improve your pet’s skin and coat.
- But back to you. You can use coconut oil as a deep conditioner for your hair. The Shop Tart mixes one egg yolk with equal parts coconut oil and Duke’s mayonnaise. She coats her hair, then wraps it in plastic wrap and a warm towel. Let it rest for an hour (plenty of time to read a book in the tub), then rinse it in the shower. Use as cold of water as you can stand, so you don’t cook the egg. You don’t need to wash it out, just rinse and style as usual. You can wash it next time. Actually? Consider never using shampoo again.
And coconut oil can be used for so many more things. Check out this list, which includes 122 uses. How do you use it? If you haven’t used it, go get some at Rosewood Market today, where you’ll get 20 percent off almost everything, all day long, just by asking for your 20 percent discount at the register!
Speaking of Rosewood Market, have you ever taken antibiotics for zits? The Shop Tart isn’t proud of this, but she has, probably three or four times in her life, when her acne persisted beyond the normal hormonal boundaries. Recently, she considered taking an antibiotic — love those chin zits! — but decided to look into something gentler first. In the supplement section at Rosewood, she found Phytocillin, an herbal formula that “conquers immune system challenges.” She took it as directed, until the bottle was gone, about a week. The zits disappeared and they haven’t come back. So.
(Disclaimer: The Shop Tart is not a doctor, nor is she qualified in any way to give medical advice. Duh. But we all take medical advice from random friends, even though we know it’s purely anecdotal. So…take any medical information on this blog with an enormous chunk of organic, wildcrafted sea salt, okay?)
By the way, how many of you made it to the Sustainable Midlands Holiday Celebration on Monday night? The Shop Tart scored plenty of her beloved PerlaAnne tea towels.
And several Just Wanna Melt lotion bars (and the little wooden dishes to hold them).
What is that thing? Well, it’s a lotion bar. You break off a little piece or just rub it into the dry spots. What’s in it? Nothing but the good stuff: Beeswax, golden cocoa butter, golden jojoba oil, sweet almond oil with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and E, shea butter, extra virgin organic coconut oil, and vitamin E oil. If you missed the event on Monday, you can find Just Wanna Melt at Crafty Feast on December 15th, along with plenty more fab vendors.
So. You looking for something cool to do tomorrow night? As always, the Shop Tart has an idea! Tickets for 701 CCA’s celebration and announcement of their 2012 prize winner are still available online and the Shop Tart hopes to see you there!
In today’s post…
- Rosewood Market, 2803 Rosewood Drive, 803-765-1083. Don’t forget that today is 20 percent off day!
Happy Shopping and don’t forget to tell them you read it on the Shop Tart!