Sigh…the vacation is over…back to reality. The Shop Tart tried desperately to get a job as a fitness instructor at Club Med so she wouldn’t have to leave, but in the end chose her family over a life spent relaxing on the beach. Isn’t she sweet?
Do you ever need a vacation but just can’t get one? The Shop Tart thinks eating a nice dinner at a bar is like a mini-vacation. You enjoy a fab dinner in a relaxed atmosphere while you chat up the bartender or other “vacationers.” You can find Mr. and Mrs. Shop Tart belly up to the bar at several places around town. These are some of their favorite vacation spots:
Baan Sawan: Sam, owner, bartender and sommelier, has gotten to know the Shop Tart’s taste in wine so well he gave her a catchphrase to use when ordering elsewhere. Thanks to Sam, she now knows she prefers “a dry, white wine that’s minerally, not buttery.” He is her oeno-therapist and he can be yours, too. The Thai food at the upscale bistro is beyond compare. Don’t miss the Green Curry Sea Bass Special when it’s available.
Garibaldi’s: The Shop Tart and her husband accidentally had their first date there. Sit in a booth for more intimacy or at one of the small tables for better people watching. Order one of the fish specials and don’t forget Mr. Shop Tart’s favorite, the Heart of Palm Salad. Service at Garibaldi’s is unobtrusive and well-paced. Pace is so, so important when you want to relax.
Mr. Friendly’s: This is one of their favorite sports bars. They don’t have a television at home, you see, so Mr. Friendly’s is the perfect place to go when he wants to catch a game and she wants to people watch, eat something other than wings and chat with Justin, one of the most charming bartenders in town. If you’re looking to have a more authentic sports bar experience, order the Buttermilk Fried Pickles with Sherry Cayenne Mayo as an appetizer.
Dianne’s on Devine: Another great sports bar with a fab menu. The crowd here might even be into the game, which can be fun. Enjoy popcorn or bar mix as your appetizer and pat yourself on the back for having a salad with your Grouper DaVinci. The Shop Tart’s favorite Chardonnay, Schug Carneros, is available here by the glass.
Hunter Gatherer: Definitely the most casual place on the list, Hunter Gatherer is de rigeur for all you beer drinkers. The beer is brewed in house, but it’s also available to take home, in big jugs called growlers. The Shop Tart likes to get the burger, sans bun, with Greek Salad in place of the hash browns. Both hash browns and bun are delish, but the Shop Tart is an old woman with three children and has to watch her figure – and the Greek Salad is really, really good! See if you can get someone to play Yahtzee with you – there’s a set behind the bar!
Here’s one final vacation drink for you from the Shop Tart, a light Malibu and club soda. She and her sister-in-law enjoyed these every afternoon after open-air Zoomba, at Celeste, the ocean-front bar at Club Med Punta Cana. It was perfect with one of their Cesar Salads. And the Shop Tart wipes a tear from her eye…
In other news…
- Need a holiday glow? The Spa at H2 and Tonic are offering airbrush tans for only $20 (regularly $30).
- On Thursday from 1 am to 3 pm, BCBG sales representative Brittanie Newman from New York will be at Lola in Lexington. Come join the fun with give-a-ways, door prizes and gifts with purchases!
- Remember that Pout will add $25 to any gift certificate over $75. They’ll also help you make a wish list and contact your gift giver. So convenient!
- Sample sale! LaRoque has a sample rack out – 75% off!
- Mark your calender: Monday, December 8th, come to Tonic or the Spa at H2 for Ladies’ Night. Fill out a wish list and “Santa” will receive a discount on all the items on your list. They will also be offering complimentary services such as eyebrow waxing, skin and hair consultations, chair massages and body composition analysis. And snacks and wine, bien sûr! 4 to 8 pm.
- Don’t forget – tomorrow is the last day to email the Shop Tart a Thanksgiving food picture for a chance to win a prize! Cell phone pictures are fine.
Happy Shopping and don’t forget to tell them you read it on the Shop Tart!